[Fedora-packaging] Octave package standard

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Sep 25 20:11:37 UTC 2007

I'm currently working with octave upstream to get their new package
management system in line with Fedora so that we can easily build RPMs
with it.  I'd like to get a Fedora package standard configured and
approved at the same time.  I've put a draft on the wiki at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Octave

Some further information:

- Currently octave uses the /usr/libexec tree to install the .oct files.
  These are really shared libraries.  It does use an arch/api versioned
directory, e.g.:

/usr/libexec/octave/packages/java-1.2.1/i386-redhat-linux-gnu-api-v26/

Some other package files (PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL) get added there too.

- Currently the entire octave forge collection is part of the
octave-forge package.  I will releasing this for F8, with the
understanding that this will be replaced by individual packages later.
The octave forge package will have provides like:

Provides: octave-gsl = 1.0.1

to try to provide a better upgrade path.  We may want to keep the
octave-forge as a meta package that pulls in the others.  Let me know if
this doesn't seem correct.

- DISTPKG (%{octave_distpkg}) is a flag that this is being built by a
package manager.  The contents get inserted into an informational
message, but otherwise does not mean much.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com