[Fedora-packaging] Use of conflicts in package splitups

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Sep 6 13:53:28 UTC 2007

On Do September 6 2007, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> When I split the mail-notification plugin into a main package and a
> subpackage I used something else which maybe could help here as well: in
> the new mail-notification-evo-plugin I obsoleted the older
> mail-notification package (e.g. the one with the EVR before the split)
> and required the new main mail-notification package to be higher then
> that EVR (rough explanation, but I suppose you'll get the idea).
>
> That way I didn't need any Conflicts and users that had the
> not-yet-split package installed always got the both packages (including
> the one that was split off) during a yum upgrade.

When I understand you correctly, this will not work here, because
knm_new-fonts does not require fonts-japanese afaics. And vbetool and
radeontool do not require pm-utils. For pm-utils, it will be the other way
round. The pm-utils evr after the splitup will require vbetool and
radeontool.

Regards,
Till