[Fedora-packaging] Review Guidelines simplifications

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Sep 7 16:31:38 UTC 2007

Aloas,

I noticed that it is possible to build local srpm with the koji client on the
Fedora buildsystem. Therefore I propose to change and simplify the following
items from the Review Guidelines

| - MUST: The package must successfully compile and build into binary rpms on
| at least one supported architecture.
| - SHOULD: The reviewer should test that the package builds in mock.
| - SHOULD: The package should compile and build into binary rpms on all
| supported architectures.
| - MUST: All build dependencies must be listed in BuildRequires, except for
| any that are listed in the exceptions section of Packaging Guidelines;
| inclusion of those as BuildRequires is optional. Apply common sense.

into:

- MUST: The package must be build on the Fedora Buildsystem for rawhide with
{{{koji build --scratch dist-f8 package-*.src.rpm}}} and the build must
succeed for at least one supported architecture.

The "dist-f8" parameter has to be changed in the Guidelines each time a newer
is created or someone needs to create a rawhide alias tag, if this is
possible.

The advantages of this approach is that the SHOULD items will be tested
without extra work for the reviewer. Also there is no way acceptable way to
verify that all needed BuildRequires are listed in the spec. Therefore a
successfull build on the Fedora Buildsystem should be enough.

I have another change to propose:
Change
| - SHOULD: Usually, subpackages other than devel should require the base
| package using a fully versioned dependency.

into:
- SHOULD: Usually, subpackages other than devel should require the base
package with {{{Requires: %{name} = %{version}-%{release}}}}

This makes it easier to copy and paste the required code and is easier to
understand.

Regards,
Till