[Fedora-packaging] Alpine

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Mon Sep 17 11:16:22 UTC 2007

I see there is source for Alpine 0.9999 available. This is an "alpha"
release of a replacement for the text user interface Pine mail client.

See http://www.washington.edu/alpine/
and ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/alpine/

The advantages of this over the old Pine is that the source code has been
reorganised and it now uses the free Apache License (version 2). This could
added to Fedora now (unlike the original Pine).

I'm not sure how many Fedora users are still addicted to Pine (like me). I
wonder whether it would be a good idea to package up soon before it is
finally released (they have a source rpm available, but I haven't looked at
it yet).

I believe it also has a web interface version, which could be interesting.

I've been running the text mode client for a bit now and the quality already
looks good - it seems at least as good as Pine at the moment.

Jeremy

--
http://jeremysanders.net/