[Fedora-packaging] Octave package standard

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Sep 28 18:25:01 UTC 2007

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>
>> - Currently octave uses the /usr/libexec tree to install the .oct files.
>>  These are really shared libraries.  It does use an arch/api versioned
>> directory, e.g.:
>>
>> /usr/libexec/octave/packages/java-1.2.1/i386-redhat-linux-gnu-api-v26/
>>
>> Some other package files (PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL) get added there too.
>>
> This is the only part that needs more clarification to me.  If the .oct
> files are really shared libraries it seems that they belong in
> %{_libdir}.  libexec is more useful for binaries that shouldn't be
> multilib like helper programs that are invoked by other programs on the
> system and need to match arch with the invoking program for them to work
> correctly.

Well, it would be trivial to change /usr/libexec to /usr/lib.  Multi-lib
is then handled by the arch string farther down.  Similar to java in
/usr/lib/jvm/java/jre/lib/amd64/.  Using %{_libdir} would be harder and
I'm not sure for what gain.  These are all dlopen libraries only for
octave so as long as it knows where to go, that's okay.

I also just updated the noarch spec to install from the source tarball
directly.  The package install script simply unpacks that tarball into
the temp directory then.  This assumes that nothing in the source needs
patching.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com