[Fedora-packaging] Suggestion: require inclusion of cvs location - deemed not that useful ;-(

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 7 14:38:47 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> I am keen to get the packaging process modified to include a final item
> after ACCEPTED and CVS action done. This is simply to require the
> submitter to make a final entry into the review request that indicates
> the URL to the spec file on the fedora cvs server {or any future package
> source repo}. Preferably via the web interface viewcvs.

OK, thanks for each of those responses summarized as:

- would make even more bugmail: yuk
   perhaps a bugzilla field that points to the spec url {ie easy to
click and view} ? And/Or a button to generate a diff between current and
previous commits for the spec.

- an extra step in devel of packages: but a frighteningly simple one -
loads easier than writing the actual package spec itself. Perhaps we
could have a web driven packager assistant that let's us click
checkboxes as we develop the package, and gives hints and links on the
next bit to do.

- it's easy to find the cvs location: {but not even a link provided},
difficult to find in {slow} wiki.fedoraproject.org eg
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/?root=fedora doesn't seem to be it.
   Let's say I'm a real fed-bie and went to http://fedoraproject.org/ :
how do I get at that url i'm after for say openoffice calc ?

- fits in to package database - agreed. a field containing a pointer to
the top folder for the package, with all the patches etc would be great.
  a link from an obvious spot in the website/wiki would be even better.
ie typing package database, then search, should put me on a brief page
explaining purpose with the link. But fed-bie would still need to know
to search for "package database". or "spec" etc.

- fast find link for CLI and web - the web one is reasonable -given some
spit and polish, could we include it in the wiki itself, or would it
need to be an external link to Till's site.

=====
Staging cvs server for spec files before acceptance:

- extra infrastructure to build / maintain.

- legal would still require CLA before allowing submission.

- spec changes are easily noticeable - well not to me, and certainly not
when the submitter doesn't change the url between versions, nor keeps
the older specs available during / after acceptance process. As a near
newbie packager, we try to learn from the spec dev process as documented
in bugzilla package review requests. But we tend to only be able to see
the final result, rather than what exactly was wrong with the original
versions and subsequent improvements.

=====
I also re-notice that it isn't possible to search the collosus of
fedoraproject.org {including docs, ftp mirrors, relevant redhat docs
etc}. Or perhaps we can direct a user to an advanced google search
against site:.fedoraproject.org {or is this against marketing direction}.
   - it would be good to have a search all, as well as search for
content of package, document, wiki, bug etc. A central "find it" spot
that everyone naturally uses. Note wiki page content searches are
extremely slow {~minute}, at least for remote users.

Other than the packagedb suggestion / labour request, how else could
such a thing be achieved. Are top-level / near top level edits of the
wiki to organize some of this information OK ? Should I drop drafts
somewhere first, and ask for review somewhere ?

DaveT.