[Fedora-packaging] Static Library Policy Draft Changes

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Apr 9 12:17:34 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>  From item #3:
> """
> When a package only provides static libraries you can place all the
> static library files in the *-devel subpackage. When doing this you also
> have to have a virtual Provide for the *-static and *-static-noshared
> packages:
> """
>
> It seems like we should only have a Provide for *-static-noshared as
> this is a special case of item #2.  Thoughts on that?

I actually think we only should have a Provide for *-static, so that people who
want to use static libs now and in the future (when there may be a shared
version) , can guarantee they will get the static version by BuildRequiring the
-static, since very few packages will ever have a real *-static-noshared,
having a virtual provides for this feels wrong.

Regards,

Hans