[Fedora-packaging] forbid fedora or redhat in spec files?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Apr 14 07:03:59 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have seen people saying that we should avoid using 'fedora' and 'redhat'
> in spec files, to help reusing in other contexts (be it, selfishly,
> EPEL/RHEL/OLPC, or other distros or upstreams). I think it is a good
> idea, especially since there is a trademark on fedora and redhat (unless
> I am wrong).
>
> Should we have a guideline about that? Or on a 'trick' page?

A guideline for that seems a bit far-fetched to me, but what use of the
terms did you want to target specifically ? I quick grep through the
spec files mostly reveals usage in desktop-file-install ("--vendor" and
"--add-category"), some "README.fedora" files, and conditionals such as
"%if "%{?fedora}" > "5""