[Fedora-packaging] forbid fedora or redhat in spec files?

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 12:55:02 UTC 2008

Denis Leroy wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have seen people saying that we should avoid using 'fedora' and
>> 'redhat'
>> in spec files, to help reusing in other contexts (be it, selfishly,
>> EPEL/RHEL/OLPC, or other distros or upstreams). I think it is a good
>> idea, especially since there is a trademark on fedora and redhat
>> (unless I am wrong).
>>
>> Should we have a guideline about that? Or on a 'trick' page?
>
> A guideline for that seems a bit far-fetched to me, but what use of the
> terms did you want to target specifically ? I quick grep through the
> spec files mostly reveals usage in desktop-file-install ("--vendor" and
> "--add-category"), some "README.fedora" files, and conditionals such as
> "%if "%{?fedora}" > "5""

One use case that comes to mind: someone doing a spin that can't meet the
Fedora criteria for still being called Fedora. In theory, simply replacing
fedora-release and fedora-logos is sufficient, but in practice, Fedora (and/or
Red Hat) shows up a few other places as well. In gnome, System->About Fedora
still shows up, and System->About Fedora still says "Distributor: Red Hat,
Inc." (this one probably ought to say "Fedora Project" for Fedora...). In web
pages, the apache identifier string is still "Apache/2.2.8 (Fedora)", and I'm
sure there are probably other cases as well.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com