[Fedora-packaging] Static Library Policy Draft Changes

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 16:41:02 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 22:54 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > The only way this can happen (AFAIK) is if they're linked by:
> >
> > - explicitly listing %{_libdir}/libfoo.a on the link line
> > - explicitly passing -Wl,-bstatic
> >
> > Either of these things should be auditable.
>
> Ok, if that's the case, we can relax the need for the -noshared
> subpackage.  I'm really just going on the word of others here.

I've rewritten it to remove the need for the -noshared subpackage:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/StaticLibraryPolicy

In plain English:

When shared libraries exist, static libraries go into -static (whether
they have a shared library counterpart or not). Any packages which link
against static libraries must BuildRequire: the -static subpackage. If
(and only if) there are no shared libraries provided, then the static
libraries can go in -devel, but -devel must also provide -static.

It is worth noting that this draft is no longer significantly different
from the current policies, but is a clarification to try and eliminate
confusion.

~spot