[Fedora-packaging] fedora-usermgmt - again

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 6 20:39:19 UTC 2008

Hi all,

fedora-usermgmt has a period of about a year to appear in discussions,
I think the FPC needs to consider it and make a final decision with
wich to live with for the next N years.

The recent example is that OLPC developers scan the wiki and find
fedora-usermgmt promising a lot (which it cannot really devliver) and
are lured into using it.

Non hard core Fedorians do not know that the authoritative bits are
under /Packaging/, and not under for example /PackageUserCreation/ or
/PackageUserCreation/ (which are named much too generic for being
really fedora-usermgmt pages), and are fooled into thinking that this
is Fedora's canonical way to go. Also the few (two?) fedora-usermgmt
supporters are pointing people to this direction.

Whatever the quality of fedora-usermgmt's approach, we can all agree
or disagree or agree on disagreeing, but I think two points are clear:

a) it is the FPC's job to dictate how a package should manage its
   uid/gid requirements.

b) the FPC needs to have a uniform method of dealing with it. This
   means either to ban fedora-usermgmt or to officially embrace it and
   make it part of the uid/gid assignment process.

fedora-usermgmt was grandfathered from fedora.us days and needs to be
reviewed just like any other technology we use.

Ville and friends did a nice official FPC proposal that passed that
catered for all cases where fedora-usermgmt could be used and more
(even considering prepopulated uid/gid system resources). It was now
in effect since a year os so and we know it does its job. IMHO the
next step is to declare fedora-usermgmt as deprecated and request
packages to move to a non-fedora-usermgmt uid/gid handling for F11.

Most probably all members of the FPC are aware of the recuring
fedora-usermgmt discussions - this should not be another one. If you
all think you know where you stand, and have read about
fedora-usermgmt pros and cons make a quick decision on this to get
this over with.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net