[Fedora-packaging] Re: Best way to add a line to a config file from another package?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 12 20:12:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:20:18PM +0300, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> Also, removing the entry is not necessary. Nothing breaks if the extra
> map does not exist. It would actually be a bad idea to remove the
> entry because Type 42 fonts generated by the user using otftotfm would
> become unusable after the tool is uninstalled, even thought the tool
> is not required to use the fonts it generated. Given this, I'll submit
> a config patch for texlive-texmf-dvips.

Ideally this sounds like something that should (also) be submitted
upstream. If it's a change that people can only benefit from and
doesn't stand in the way of upstream's future plans, upstream will
accept it. Otherwise maybe upstream will even point out a flaw (not
compatible with future upstream planned changes, different solution in
works etc.).

And if upstream signals green light for such a change the maintainer
of the texlive packages will be easier to convince to allow for a
patch.

> > I've written a patch for otftotfm (and sent it upstream) that allows
> > installation of Type 42 fonts from TrueType fonts.

Patching config.ps and this patch should go hand in hand in both
upstream and Fedora packaging. E.g. if the patch to otftotfm were to
be rejected upstream with sane reasoning, then we shouldn't deviate.

Sounds very interesting, I hope this goes through!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net