[Fedora-packaging] Simple cvs extras suggestion

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:42:49 UTC 2008

Robin Norwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the goal of opening up ACLs on 'most' packages, I'd like to
> suggest that the New Package CVS Request template on this page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CVSAdminProcedure
>
> Change the last line from:
>
> Cvsextras Commits:

> Cvsextras Commits: yes
>

> Since the whole point of the template is for people to cut and paste
> it, this will make 'yes', truly the default option.
>
> Also, the text could be changed to be more descriptive.  Something like
> 'Other Fedora members can commit' or change it around to 'Restrict
> commit access'.
>
> Sure, the user should read the documentation half a page down and
> choose 'yes', but how many people don't?  And, more to the point, the
> term 'cvsextras' isn't really defined anywhere on the page.

We're actually thinking of removing that option altogether and letting
people who are paranoid update the acls in the pkgdb before they import
any code.  Otherwise, the idea of changing things around sounds right on
the mark :-)

BTW, we should have discussions like this on fedora-devel I think.
packaging is for discussions of guidelines and so it won't reach as wide
an audience.

-Toshio