[Fedora-packaging] How to handle unversioned upstream tarballs?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Aug 28 22:49:28 UTC 2008

PP> Well, I've (a) tried to get the owners to rename the tarball with
PP> an embedded version number, so far without success, and (b) went
PP> looking through the maintainers wiki on how to handle cases where
PP> the tarball isn't versioned (and it must be done manually) but
PP> didn't find it.

You just deal with it the hard way.  CVS (or the sources mechanism, at
least) has no problems dealing with unversioned upstream source.  The
burden on the packager is higher but it's not really all that
difficult to deal with.  It does make upstream source comparisons
mostly useless, though, so we lose an important means of verification
but this isn't something the maintainer can solve.

If you asked upstream and they don't care then you've done what you
can do.

 - J<