[Fedora-packaging] Re: How to handle unversioned upstream tarballs?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 29 08:09:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 06:57:03PM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:

>> PP> Well, I've (a) tried to get the owners to rename the tarball with
>> PP> an embedded version number, so far without success, and (b) went
>> PP> looking through the maintainers wiki on how to handle cases where
>> PP> the tarball isn't versioned (and it must be done manually) but
>> PP> didn't find it.
>>
>> You just deal with it the hard way.  CVS (or the sources mechanism, at
>> least) has no problems dealing with unversioned upstream source.  The
>> burden on the packager is higher but it's not really all that
>> difficult to deal with.  It does make upstream source comparisons
>> mostly useless, though, so we lose an important means of verification
>> but this isn't something the maintainer can solve.
>>
>> If you asked upstream and they don't care then you've done what you
>> can do.
>>
>>  - J<
>>

> Yeah, about that... they don't seem to be using CVS upstream...  If
> they're using SVN, then they don't publish a public interface.

If you are after a date to use as a version number, then use the mtime
of the tarball. Get it with wget -N to preserve timestamps (curl has
similar options). If the download is broken timestamp-wise (like it is
for asterisk/zaptel etc. for example), then use the date of the newest
file in the tarball.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net