[Fedora-packaging] guidelines for dbus services

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:37:17 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> In the light of the recent dbus debacle, I think it would be very good
> to add a section about dbus services to the packaging guidelines.
>
> As we have painfully learned, an incorrect policy file for a third-party
> service can render the entire system bus unusable, or open it up to
> everybody, so it is important that packagers pay attention to the dbus
> policy files in their packages.
>
> I don't have a concrete proposal right now, but Colin made a good start
> at writing up some best practices here:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2008-December/010717.html

This would be very useful.  The information isn't really a Guideline
(with MUST items at the moment) and ideas for how packagers should deal
with upstreams that don't follow the suggestions but it is a good start.

Maybe the best idea would be to get this in the wiki and expand it under
PackagingDrafts/DBus.  Then migrate it into a document similar to what
each programming language has.  Having a list of reviewables will make
it better fodder for the Packaging Guidelines themselves.

-Toshio