[Fedora-packaging] MinGW subpackages of OCaml packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 18:46:08 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> OK, this is fair too.  I usually encourage OCaml packagers to start
> out with:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Packaging_OCaml_ocaml-foolib.spec
>
> linked from:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/OCaml
>
> That doesn't currently include a mingw subpackage, and nor should it.
>
> Note that there are currently 70 OCaml packages in Fedora, and only a
> handful of those (10) were proposed to be cross-compiled, 2 of those
> being the cross-compiler itself.

So.. I'd like to stick with the current Guidelines that require separate
reviews and packages for cross-compiled packages.  Here's some of the logic:

1) Just because you are the maintainer of the package now doesn't mean
that you'll be the maintainer in Fedora 27.

2) Rather than special-case OCaml, (or really... the OCaml subset
maintained by you) it would be better to write a general rule.  However,
that general rule leads to a bit of confusion -- subpackages may be used
when the maintainer is amenable to it.  Separate packages when the
maintainer is not.  And when maintainership switches, go with whatever
was done before?  Or merge and drop as the current maintainer wishes?
This is all very ugly.

3) Since we currently review packages on import time (instead of having
an ongoing re-review process) and cross-compilation is a very large spec
to add to the build, it's better to make sure cross-compilation is
reviewed via separate packages than to have it added on to random
packages willy-nilly.

4) Having cross-compiled sub-packages prevents us from separating out
the cross-compiled packages should that become desirable in the future
(I sit on Infrastructure and FPC and watch FESCo so I know how difficult
this is from the infrastructure side and yet how desired it was from the
other.)  Once again, this is keeping options open for Fedora 27.

-Toshio