[Fedora-packaging] Re: Usage of {_libdir} or {_lib} in noarch packages

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Dec 20 16:58:34 UTC 2008

AT> Isn't the norach equivalent of _libdir _datadir? Or phrased in
AT> another way: Shouldn't a noach package avoid both lib and lib64? I
AT> think we even have rules already set for this.

Well, sort of, but it doesn't always work out that way in practise.
Witness Perl and Python, for example, which should both put
arch-independent modules in datadir but put them in /usr/lib instead.
Which leads to the fun situation where you can get it wrong and have
the package work on i386 but fail to build on x86_64.

Still, those languages have their own macros which give you the right
thing.  We don't have anything in general, and I agree that we
shouldn't really encourage it.  When really necessary, I've always
recommended just using %{_prefix}/lib to make it really obvious.

 - J<