[Fedora-packaging] Duplication of documentation in subpackages

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Feb 15 06:07:48 UTC 2008

I've seen a few packages which include things like a readme or license
file in both the main package and one or more subpackages.

The review guidelines are explicit that packages must not contain
duplicate files in the %files listing, and generally these will abort
a build, but in the case of %doc files this doesn't seem to be the
case.

I know spot has indicated in the past that there's no legal
requirement to duplicate the license file between subpackages, even
when they have names which don't relate them in any way to the main
package.  What I've never been sure of is whether it's something I
need to block packages for.  I guess if anyone is that concerned about
saving space they can just do --nodocs installs.

 - J<