[Fedora-packaging] compat package policy

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 02:43:38 UTC 2008

I would like for the Packaging group to discuss the following policy:

"""
compat-* packages

compat-* packages are for the sole purpose of providing
obsolescent/obsolete libraries required by non-Fedora applications. No
Fedora packages may be built against them, and no application packages
may use the compat- namespace. Any -devel subpackage must be omitted via
the removal or exclusion of development-related files.
"""

This policy would not be enforced retroactively (although maintainer
compliance should be welcomed).