[Fedora-packaging] Re: compat package policy

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Feb 20 09:56:21 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 20 février 2008 à 10:41 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

> 2. It's technically counterproductive.
> compat packages are band aids to help out in cases where "upgrading"
> isn't easily applicable. Banning compat-*-devel packages voids this
> aspect.

I've seem people proposing the creation of foo123 packages just to get
around the "no devel for compat packages" rule proposed there. Don't
tell me this is progress — those foo123 packages are going to stick a
lot longer that compat packages would ever had.

So the "no devel" rule is nothing but hiding problems under the carpet.
It does not make people less inclined to build against old versions, you
just have bandaids that do not look like bandaids anymore.

--
Nicolas Mailhot