[Fedora-packaging] UTF-8 package names

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 20:16:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 10:25 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Today the Packaging Committee began a discussion of whether package
> names should be allowed to contain the full range of Unicode
> characters
> (encoded as UTF-8) or be restricted to the ASCii subset.

1. If the upstream package is an i18n name, how do you make up an ASCII
name for it?

2. What is the technical reason to restrict package names to ASCII?

NOTE: I do  not consider broken apps a good reason, although I could
understand for example having to wait before allowing non-ASCII name to
when python is fixed, just to name a core package that may have
problems.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York