[Fedora-packaging] UTF-8 package names

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 26 22:09:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 13:54 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 13:49 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:
> > > The biggest issue I could see is that any issues in handling such a package
> > > would need to be fixed *everywhere* that package is deployed, whether it
> > > be current Fedora, earlier Fedora, or EPEL. It may not be practical to
> > > deploy such fixes everywhere.
To me, these are the least issues. They are of a technical nature and
can be overcome/fixed (utf-8)

My concern is usability of the distro.

IMO, we can not avoid to restrict certain aspects of the distro to the
least common denominator. Package-names are such a case.

> > Consider, for example, that such a package breaks bugzilla. Although I
> > suppose that's one way to avoid getting bug reports.
> >

> /me renames yum to ᶨᶬⱴ
Is this Farsi, Arab or Hebrew?

Proposal: Let's rename the bodhi and koji packages + their primary
executables into their Indian rsp. Japanese equivalents :)

Ralf