[Fedora-packaging] UTF-8 package names

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Feb 27 00:56:34 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, 26 February 2008 at 23:09, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 13:54 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> To me, these are the least issues. They are of a technical nature and
> can be overcome/fixed (utf-8)
>
> My concern is usability of the distro.
>
> IMO, we can not avoid to restrict certain aspects of the distro to the
> least common denominator. Package-names are such a case.
>
> > > Consider, for example, that such a package breaks bugzilla. Although I
> > > suppose that's one way to avoid getting bug reports.
> > >

> > /me renames yum to ᶨᶬⱴ
> Is this Farsi, Arab or Hebrew?
>
> Proposal: Let's rename the bodhi and koji packages + their primary
> executables into their Indian rsp. Japanese equivalents :)

I, for one, have nothing against 工事. At least I wouldn't have to cringe
at the bad romanization that's used all over the place. :P

As for executables, you can always do something like
# ln -s 工事 /usr/bin/koji
and ship both... just kidding.

Although this discussion sheds an entirely new light on l10n/i18n. Imagine
a fully localised system, where not only messages, but also everything else
is translated into local language.

/me imagines typing (pl_PL.UTF-8 locale)

$ znajdź . -typ p -upr 0600 -drukuj

Oh, the horror. ;)

Regards,
R.