[Fedora-packaging] tex/latex doc install location

Mary Ellen Foster foster at in.tum.de
Mon Jan 21 19:15:30 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I'd like to ask about from the original post::
>    In tex/latex bundled in fedora (I guess it comes from tetex and it is
>    now in texlive) there is a simple system to view documentation.
>
> What is this "simple system"?  We do have a rule that nothing marked as
> %doc should break an application if it is not present on the system.  If
> this help system is integrated into applications (like ghelp for gnome)
> then this would count under that rule.  If it's more like man and info
> pages then we'd want them to be marked as doc even if they are located
> somewhere other than %{_docdir}.

In theory, to get documentation on any tex package, you type "texdoc
<package>". The system then looks in texmf/tex/doc/ for
<package>.{pdf,html,ps,dvi,...} and loads it in the appropriate
viewer.

This doesn't always work, for example with packages whose
documentation isn't named after the package, but that's the theory.
More information at http://linux.die.net/man/1/texdoc or
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/texdoc.html

MEF

--
Dr. Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München