[Fedora-packaging] release of subpackage with version different from main rpm

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Jan 6 00:30:46 UTC 2008

On 01/05/2008 Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> If there's a component (of texlive, Perl, or whatever distro we're
> repackaging) which we frequently feel like we need to update out of
> sync with the distro that packages it, we shouldn't hesitate to
> package it separately.

Well, yes and no. This is a place where I've got to assume that upstream
has a good reason for bundling these components together in the same
tarball. If one of those bundled components frequently needs updates, we
should be having dialogs with upstream about:

A. Whether that component needs to be bundled in
B. Whether the supertarball needs to be updated more often
C. What the effect of Fedora updating the component will be on the
supportability of the whole, from an upstream perspective

With that data, when needed and with upstream support, we shouldn't shy
away from packaging it separately.

~spot