[Fedora-packaging] Automatic detection of Requires and versions

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Jan 7 16:45:33 UTC 2008

RC> If the SONAMEs are the same, the libraries MUST be compatible.

Well, either that or the developers of said library have screwed up.
It's not as if we haven't seen that before.

RC> => No need for a package dep.

In the case where you depend on a package that's broken as above,
though, you may not have a lot of choice.

Of course, I think this is all moot as we don't generally go updating
gtk within a release, and all supported Fedora releases already have
gtk2 2.10 anyway.  So a versioned dependency on gtk2 would be
pointless because it's always going to be satisfied in situations we
support.

 - J<