[Fedora-packaging] Should vim-X11 conflict with vim-enhanced ?

Michał Bentkowski mr.ecik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:53:26 UTC 2008

2008/1/15, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi>:
> I wouldn't like any of the above.  But didn't someone already suggest:
>
> 4) Use wrapper scripts in /usr/bin/{vim,vimdiff,ex,view,rview,rvim,vimtutor}
> that first look for the -X11 executables, then -enhanced.  Maybe something
> like:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exe=${0##*/}
> vim=/usr/libexec/vim/enhanced/$exe
> if [ -x /usr/libexec/vim/X11/$exe ] ; then # maybe test "-n $DISPLAY" here too
>     vim=/usr/libexec/vim/X11/$exe
> fi
> exec $vim "$@"
>
> ...and ship it in vim-enhanced, and make vim-X11 require it (and obviously set
> up so that the desired executables/links are found
> in /usr/libexec/vim/{enhanced,X11})?

Yes, that's what I suggested and it still seems to me it's the best
solution. Still thinking though whether there should be a way to
choose one's preferred vim when both are installed. For some reasons
(no idea what reasons that can be) user may want to prefer -enhanced
to -X11.

--
Michał Bentkowski
mr.ecik at gmail.com