[Fedora-packaging] desktop file icon/pixmap locations

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 03:11:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 22:33 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > One point: I'd suggest that we *not* require conversion of upstream
> > icon files to a uniform file format, so long as what upstream supplies
> > will work (ie, please no "thou shalt convert xpm to png" in the
> > guidelines).  Doing that would require BuildRequire'ing some image
> > conversion package or other, which seems like a pretty heavyweight
> > build dependency for hardly any real gain.

Supported formats for themed icons are xpm, png and svg. Thus, if you
install the icon below /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ it should be in one of
those formats. If you install it in /usr/share/pixmaps, it can really be
anything, but traditionally, that directory is for xpms. In the desktop
file, the icon should be either specified as a full path (including
extension) or as an icon name (without extension), the latter being
preferred.