[Fedora-packaging] Re: supporting closed source operating systems?

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:06:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:25:51AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> OTOH, do we want to open the door to people running mingw-compiled
>> binaries under wine?  That seems like it might be a whole 'nother can of
>> worms, though.
>
> You can actually run the executables under wine directly.  In fact you
> just run them.  Assuming you've set up the ~/.wine/config file so that
> paths to any non-standard DLLs can be found, then ./virsh.exe does the
> right thing.
>
> Setting up DLL paths correctly when mingw-runtime is installed was one
> thing I was going to look at.

If you can show a demo of compiling certain open source windows apps
so that they can work on Fedora via wine, then I can definitely argue
that this is no longer secondary architecture.

I have a couple of VJ programs some friends asked about getting into
Fedora, all open source, but some run on windows.  Being able to build
them on Fedora easily will make it very easy for them to create a
Fedora based VJ station.

Just my 0.02 USD.

-Yaakov