[Fedora-packaging] Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting (Tuesday July 22)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 12:06:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:29 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> What is the board's rationale for putting MinGW packages in a separate
> repository, when other cross-compiler toolchain (eg ARM) are in the main
> Fedora repository. Seems to me like we're penalizing MinGW  just
> because it happens to be related to Windows, even though MinGW's code
> is still just as open source as anything else in our repos.

Actually I think the prevailing thought that the Board has (although
it's up to FESCo to really nail it down) is that the mingw tools
themselves are absolutely suitable for Fedora.  The libraries compiled
against it for windows use are what should be in another repo.

My personal opinion is that if you're going to need to munge spec files
in order to produce packages built against mingw, those munges need to
be done outside our cvs repo as well.

However that's just my opinion, and since the board has asked FESCo to
sort out the technical details, and I'm not in FESCo anymore, that
opinion doesn't amount to much (:

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!