[Fedora-packaging] Case-insensitive "yum install"?

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Jul 25 03:32:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

[Looks like this has been discussed previously, though perhaps not here.
Sorry if it's annoying to have it brought up again.]

I'd like to make "yum install" case-insensitive (for occasions where
there is only one useful interpretation of case), so that I can do
e.g. "yum install wxgtk" without first doing "yum search wxgtk" and
finding that the required case is "yum install wxGTK".

In the unlikely event of repositories containing two packages with the
same case-insensitive interpretation (would this meet packaging rules,
and is it used by anyone?) we can refuse to operate on anything but the
correct case.  There is no potential for damage here -- we don't proceed
if you might have meant something else.

What do people here think?  Is there anything I've missed?

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>