[Fedora-packaging] Submission of Haskell Packaging Guidelines for Review

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:00:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> YN> There are still a few outstanding questions, but I think they
> YN> could be better answered by the Packaging Committee rather than
> YN> myself.
>
> Could you perhaps post the outstanding questions?  It's a bit tough to
> figure out what's what, and wiki conversion has flattened any nested
> lists so the comments section just looks like a bunch of bullets..
> Also, the new wiki has a proper discussion page; it might be simpler
> to use that and keep the main page for just the stuff that's actually
> guidelines.
>
> I see the last thing on the page is a request for FPC to comment on
> the casing of package names.  I note that unfortuantely there is
> little concensus; Perl packages keep the upstream casing, but Perl
> package naming is relatively consistent.  Python packages are
> generally, but not consistently, downcased.

For now, i'm leaving it set as downcased, just for sanity.  If there
is enough drive to make it mixed case, I'll change it, but only if
there is some overwhelming majority or executive decision.

> Personally I'd prefer just downcasing things, especially if there's no
> upstream consistency and the tools employed already downcase things.
>
> YN> Please let me know if there are to be any official meetings to
> YN> discuss details about this, so I can be present.
>
> Next meeting is July 15th, 17:00UTC.

I'll try to be there.

> Is it possible to get a couple of packages made according to these
> guidelines?  I know there are a few in the queue, but I'm not sure how
> they jibe with the proposed guidelines.

I need to update the ones sitting for package review.  The latest
version can be found at:
http://ynemoy.fedorapeople.org/repo/

It's also a repo, so if you want to install them, yum will be able to
track them.  The haskell packages are:
ghc-x11
ghc-xmonad
ghc-xmonad-contrib
xmobar
xmonad

The spec files used to build these packages are the ones also in the
guidelines on the wiki (with the notable exception of xmonad-contrib.)

Anyhow, I'll fix up the comments in a bit.

-Yaakov