[Fedora-packaging] Re: supporting closed source operating systems?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 21:20:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> But that was stuff where there either wasn't source or there was no
> clear chain from the source to the binary.
>
> Please be clear that the MinGW cross-compiler is 100% free software
> built from source.  If it turns out that any parts aren't, then they
> will be removed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue.  I think Toshio is saying
better what I am trying to say.
There is a difference between cross-compiling code that is inherently
arch-adependent in how its compiled and writing code in a language
that is meant to be managed by a arch-independent virtual machine
layer.

I have a very difficult time seeing wine as similar to any virtual
machine based language such as mono unless wine can be built and run
on multiple arches.  So as such I would have a very hard time seeing
any code be branded as Fedora that had to be run under wine to be
useful at all.  I'm okay with optionally building a varient that runs
under wine as part of the Fedora project if and only if there is a
native version of that code already available for Fedora Linux.  if
wine as a project gets to the point where it can usefully run on ppc,
then i would feel a lot better letting application code inside Fedora
need it.  But I'd still want to have it as a side-repo.

-jef