TeX fonts, part one [Was: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Proposed amendment to general packaging guidelines: no bundling of fonts in other packages]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jul 25 13:18:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 15:04 +0300, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> I did not have time finish writing all the details below, I'll write
> some more tonight, but before this Type 1 bashing gets out of hand,
> read the stuff below. If you don't want the gory details, the bottom
> line is that the mainstream TeX still works best with type-1 fonts.
> And it isn't likely to go away soon.

Drat, and I was so happy to get rid of them :(

All my other points still stand, though.

— We should not ship X versions of the same URW fonts. We should
consolidate on the most recent one in OTF format.
— We should not hide general-purpose fonts in app-specific directories.
TEX should use system fonts directly.
— We should no ship font collections in a single package when the legal
context is so dangerous, but audit each font separately. Every time
someone has tried the font collection way it has finished badly.

--
Nicolas Mailhot