TeX fonts, part one [Was: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Proposed amendment to general packaging guidelines: no bundling of fonts in other packages]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jul 27 11:08:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 13:40 +0300, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> I had a look the TDS (http://www.ctan.org/get/tds/tds.pdf). Nothing
> written there prevents the use of symlinks. In fact their not even
> mentioned because TDS is supposed work even on MSDOS. The question is
> if it will actually work if we do that. I guess Jindrich Novy, the
> texlive packaged owner knows better than any of us, so I'm cc-ing him.

It seems the tex-fonts-hebrew at least provides TEX context for some
system fonts
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/tex-fonts-hebrew/tex-fonts-hebrew.spec

So proper packaging of Type1, TTF and OTF fonts would probably be
something like this
1. normal foo-fonts system package that can be used by any font system,
including TEX
2. tex-foo-fonts or foo-texfonts package that depends on foo-fonts and
adds additionnal TEX files (without duplicating the font files
themselves), with symlinks or references or whatever works in TEX
3. master TEX comps group or package that assembles all the foo-texfonts
packages.

Of course I know next to nothing about TEX so I'd be a lot happier if
people like Jonathan Underwood wrote the whole TEX font packaging rules
in my stead.

--
Nicolas Mailhot