[Fedora-packaging] eclipse plugin without feature.xml

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 14:36:33 UTC 2008

Hi

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 00:07 +0200, Sergio Pascual wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to package a eclipse plugin called veditor. I have
> followed the guidelines in wiki/Packaging/EclipsePlugins
> The zip with the source code contains a file plugin.xmll but doesn't
> contain feature.xml. When building,
>
> %{eclipse_base}/buildscripts/pdebuild -f net.sourceforge.veditor
>
> fails, because feature.xml doesn't exist. How do I build with
> plugin.xml but without feature.xml?

Until package-build (a wrapper around PDE Build) supports building
plugins which have no containing feature, you'll either need to spoof up
a feature.xml like eclipse-quickrex -- and offer it to upstream,
please :) -- or build like the following but with a spoofed
build/assemble.net.sourceforge.veditor.all.xml (look for another simple
package's generated one for inspiration):

# See attached patch
patch < veditorbuild.patch
ant -f buildjavacc.xml
# This next bit is essentially what pde-build wraps
eclipse -nosplash -Duser.home=`pwd`/home \
-application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner \
-Dtype=plugin -Did=net.sourceforge.veditor \
-DsourceDirectory=$(pwd) \
-DbaseLocation=$SDK \
-Dbuilder=/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/templates/package-build \
-DjavacSource=1.5 -DjavacTarget=1.5 \
-f /usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build/scripts/build.xml

HTH,

Andrew