[Fedora-packaging] Re: Python Virtual Provides

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 19:56:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 14:30 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> I've added Python Virtual Provides to the list of draft guidelines.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Python
>
> There are two parts:
> 1) introduce virtual provides for python eggs.  Copying from the way we
> do rubygems, this would be:
>
> Provides: pythonegg(SQLAlchemy) = %{version}
> Requires: pythonegg(SQLAlchemy) >= 0.3.11
>
> 2) introduce virtualprovides for normal python modules:
>
> Provides: python(sqlalchemy) = %{version}
> Requires: python(sqlalchemy)
>
> The motivation for this is that David Malcolm (dmalcolm) wrote a proof
> of concept script to show how easy it would be to extract egg dependency
> information as part of the rpm build process.

I ran into various inconsistencies between the versions listed in the
egg requires.txt file and the rpm specfile, and thought that the latter
ought to be autogenerated from the former.

First pass at a script attached to bug 451228, and I posted this to
fedora-python-devel-list:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-python-devel-list/2008-June/msg00002.html

Obvious mistake I made was to try to store the mapping from python
modules to package names, instead, the script ought to generate some
kind of virtual provides as in Toshio's suggestion above.  Should be
simple to update the script

> Since this will be a far reaching change, should it be discussed on
> fedora-devel-list first or whether we want to do both parts?

Could we simply put the script in a place where it's available to the
maintainer, so they can opt-in and have it generate the deps?

Hope this helps
Dave