[Fedora-packaging] Re: Python Virtual Provides

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 21:11:21 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> DM> Requires: pythonegg(RuleDispatch) >= 0.5a0.dev-r2303
>
> DM> Is the dash in the RuleDispatch version likely to cause problems?
>
> Not so much the dash as the fact that there is a huge chance that with
> such incredibly poor versioning practices we're likely to see things
> fail to sort properly in the future, leading to versions which go
> backwards rpm-wise.

Well, the package will already have that problem.  This is the prettiest
I could make cleaning up the version::

%define nonnumeric_relstring a0.dev-r2303
Name: python-ruledispatch
Version: 0.5
Release: 0.1.%{nonnumeric_relstring}
Provides: pythonegg(RuleDispatch) = %{version}%{nonnumeric_relstring}

Since the script Dave provided makes constructs the Provides line for
us, using the script with these kinds of versions doesn't really make
our lives harder.

-Toshio