[Fedora-packaging] Blocking reviews on to be written guidelines?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 3 09:06:26 UTC 2008

Le Lun 3 mars 2008 09:40, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> Esp, with java packages I find this strange as we already have lots of
> java
> packages in the distro, giving plenty example how we currently do java
> things, and this seems to work well.

The 'problem' with java packages is that the packaging guidelines have
largely been defined outside Fedora (since part of the platform was
historicaly closed), and there's been a drive to rewrite history and
start from scratch instead of trying to work with the original third
party repository to update those rules (if needed).

Given that those rules were written by a very small number of persons
in a short time, on the usual FLOSS rule of "those who do the work
call the shots", I find it very strange to see all this negative
activity, when all it would take to get the third party repository to
evolve (again, if there is a technical need) would be to discuss the
technical problems on its list and propose eventual Fedora-friendly
solutions there. (also this third party has some cause to be angered
since some trivial problems introduced Fedora-side have been simering
for a long time).

Or else admit there is not problem and agree the current de facto
rules are fine.

--
Nicolas Mailhot