[Fedora-packaging] Requires(missingok)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 15:04:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:26:10AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 10:57 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Worth comparing what Debian do:
> >
> >   http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps
>
> you'll note debian doesn't specify behavior. So much in fact b/c, last
> time I checked, apt just lists out suggests/recommends to the terminal
> w/o doing anything with them.

Even just listing them out is (IMHO) a good thing.  Sometimes on
Debian I'll see a suggestion that looks worthwhile, kill the apt-get,
and start it again with the extra package.  Of course what Debian is
then missing is an explanation of what the extra package does and why
it enhances the requested package, eg:

  yum install foo

  foo suggests bar
  bar: with this package you will be able to foo bars as well

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v