[Fedora-packaging] Blocking reviews on to be written guidelines?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 15:15:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 10:06 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> The 'problem' with java packages is that the packaging guidelines have
> largely been defined outside Fedora (since part of the platform was
> historicaly closed), and there's been a drive to rewrite history and
> start from scratch instead of trying to work with the original third
> party repository to update those rules (if needed).

Really, the problem is this:

1. No one has proposed any serious Java packaging guidelines for Fedora.
If someone were to take the JPackage guidelines and propose them as the
Fedora packaging guidelines, it would be a start at least, right now,
we've got nothing.

2. The Java packages that we have currently are rather inconsistent on
how they package, and many of them are badly bitrotted for a variety of
reasons, so we can't just "keep on doing what we've been doing".

Thus, the hold. When someone presents a set of reasonable guidelines for
Java packages, we'll help knock them into shape and lift the hold. Very
few of us on the FPC have any Java experience, so we're relying on the
community with Java interest/experience to fill this void.

~spot