[Fedora-packaging] FESCo notes on OCaml guidelines change

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 23:26:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 13:19 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> I will admit to not fully understanding
> what's up here, but can we address this and either fix it or provide
> some response to fesco to assuage their concerns?

Grumble, grumble. I really hate it when dwmw2 uses mostly unrelated
issues as a soapbox.

The simple fact is that we cannot do arch-specific requires without file
dependencies, and since ocaml doesn't "link" to any shared libraries,
we'd be really fudging it here. We could solve the problem by adding a
Requires: %{_libdir}/ocaml on arch-specific ocaml packages, but it will
mean that every ocaml program installs slowly. Or, we could hack around
this with %{_bitsize} macro defines and provides (believe it or not, I'd
actually prefer this).

Either way, I don't think it prevents these updates from going in, and
should be handled as a separate issue.

~spot