[Fedora-packaging] Drafts for next Tuesday

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Mar 23 20:01:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 06:22:47PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > Register VirtualProvides (Patrice Dumas) :
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ProvidesList
>
> +1 to the general idea, however I'm somewhat uncertain about
> server(port_name), it needs more explanation.  Consider for example the

You mean on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/VilleSkyttä/VirtualProvides

There is no mention of server(port_name) on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ProvidesList

It is explained on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ServerProvides
I had understood that it had been ratified, but I may be wrong.
I wanted to wait for the guideline to have find a new home with a more
definitive content, but I can add the link right now on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/VilleSkyttä/VirtualProvides

> tomcat5 package: it's configured to use port 8080 by default.  I don't think
> server(webcache) would describe it well at all.  Also, changing servers to

8080 is used for too much stuff to be usefull in a Requires, in my
opinion. Still should be server(webcache) is a server listening on
localhost on this port wants to have this ability provided, in case it
would have make sense.

> run in non-default ports is pretty common and kind of breaks the "contract"
> of server(port_name), but perhaps that's just a documentation issue.

Also the server may not be started.

--
Pat