[Fedora-packaging] Re: one more draft

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Mar 24 15:23:00 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Whatever the hardwired defaults at compile time
> the /etc/sysconfig/vdr takes precedence. So the package's scripts can
> easily autoadjust to whatever situation.

Good to hear you know better; I expect to see code to back that up if the
draft passes with a mandate to change the dirs :)

> But that would be wrong. One of the main FHS aspects is that a package [...]

We already do some things "wrong" wrt the FHS, for example /etc/rc.d/init.d
and /usr/libexec.  I'm not aware of much movement in getting those fixed
although unlike /srv, they don't deal directly with user data and could
conceivably be easier and safer to fix.  (Right, this is not a reason to
allow more wrongdoings, but they're in the same boat of kinda "this is how
things have been traditionally done, and we don't think it's worth the
trouble to change these particular cases".)

> Just to reiterate: The /srv/vdr folder currently breaks all
> /srv/<domain> setups.

Sure, if you happen to have a <domain> dir called vdr there for some other
purpose.  Similar things could be said about /var/lib/vdr or /var/spool/vdr.