[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging guidelines draft

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 21:19:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 22:13 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> ? Can someone explain to me what is meant with JPackageNaming?

All of the packages which originated from the JPackage repository had a
"repotag" of jpp on them. When they were merged into Fedora Core
(pre-Core/Extras merge), they kept their jpp repotag. When the merger
happened, we tried to get rid of the repotag, because it was a violation
of the NamingGuidelines, but we got a huge amount of pushback on this.

Finally, simply to get past the issue, we drafted a temporary
compromise, letting the repotag remain until it was no longer useful.
The intent was to provide some time for the Java packagers to work out
alternate methods to perform the tasks that they were reliant upon the
repotag for... but no such work ever took place.

In fact, upon retrospection, I'm not entirely sure what value the
repotag holds, which is why it either needs to be thoroughly
rationalized, or gotten rid of entirely.

~spot