[Fedora-packaging] Re: Java packaging guidelines draft

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 16:40:47 UTC 2008

* Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> [2008-03-26 12:03]:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:57 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Because all the distro guideline guys want to work inside their own
> > personal guideline committee instead of meeting each other at the
> > project level where they have less control. Which can't work as long
> > as the project is shared.
>
> Well, we have this new freedesktop.org mailing list for cross-distro
> cooperation.  Sounds like a great place to bring such discussions.

There's no need to move this to freedesktop.org since JPackage is
already distro-neutral.  Fixes should be made *with* JPackage (with
their blessing and that of the other distros, of course).

Here's a potential way forward from Fedora's side:

1) get Fedora guidelines in order
2) distill divergences from JPackage
3) work with JPackage to deal with divergences thereby fixing other
distros, etc.

I think we're well on the way towards solving 1) above.  2) will fall
out of that and the many contributors to *both* Fedora and JPackage can
take the changes and present them in JPackage forums and deal with 3).

Then we can deal with the actual hard problems of merging
contributions/contributors, inter-leaving of repos, etc.

Andrew