[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging guidelines draft

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 14:57:36 UTC 2008

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Java
>>
>> All of the questions and comments and TODOs that were on the page have
>> been taken care of.  I'm sure there are going to be questions and
>> complaints, but we now feel it's in a state worthy of first draft
>> presentation.
>
> I'd like to draw some attention to my question about why to install the
> versioned jars.  Nicolas is trying to help me understand, but I'm either
> correct in that they should just be dropped or too dumb so far to get it (in
> which case I think it needs a real explanation in the guidelines):
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-March/msg02346.html

Yes, I've struggled to understand the same decision in the JDK packages.
    I wonder why the extra level of versioning is required:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2007-12-11 14:36
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea -> java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0

Nicolas, do you know the rationale?  To enable parallel-installation of
multiple versions of the same JDK, perhaps?

Tom