[Fedora-packaging] Re: one more draft

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 27 20:15:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:45:37AM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > >
> > > Good to hear you know better; I expect to see code to back that up if the
> > > draft passes with a mandate to change the dirs :)
> >
> > Sure, that's what the FPC's jobs is: to go hunt all packages and fix
> > them. Good that I'm not a member anymore ;)
>
> Eh.  The FPC has not been claiming that this would be easy, you are.
>
> > Of course, the more serious answer is that this is the packager's job.
>
> Well, I say it's not feasible in the case of vdr, and that's not something I
> can prove; spending time on it and not coming up with a feasible solution is
> not a proof it can't be done, it's just silly waste of my time.  On the other
> hand, you are parroting it's easy, and if it is, it should be easy for you to
> prove as well.

Come on Ville, I already gave an example in the first mail and you
agreed that this can be done that way. Then you started mumbling
things about fragile and whatnot. If it's done correct by the packager
it is not fragile. And after all it shouldn't had been under /srv in
the first place to start with. This discussion is very old and you
were aware that one day this could be formalized.

If every packager that didn't like a decision from the FPC would fall
on its back and say "Show me, I don't knwo how it's done", then we
wouldn't have any possible progress in the guidelines.

Anyway I'm not the FPC, the FPC will hold its meeting on this (or
already did) and will cast a decision. One hopefully leaving /srv to
the user/admin.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net