[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging guidelines draft

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 18:23:26 UTC 2008

* Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> [2008-03-28 12:55]:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:50 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> > We had agreed on an "exit clause" of dropping this when the RPM/yum
> > Capabilities (?) feature became available to replace the deprecated
> > Groups, so we could mark packages with various attributes like
> > "Java",
> > "JPP" etc, and select them at will in all sorts of operations.
>
> This could just as easily go in the "Group:" tag, and not complicate the
> n-v-r.

No easy to sort with that though. With the release having jpp in there,
one can just do rpm -qa | grep jpp

As for the reason why sort is needed... well, Java is sort of a special
case in that it is the only set that has all packages available from a
different vendor. So if someone wants to replace the Fedora Java stack
with the JPackage Java stack or vice versa, they need to be able to
easily find out the set..

Deepak